Finance Associate Job Vacancy at Ona 2022: Ona is a social enterprise that builds the data infrastructure to drive change. We believe technology affords new opportunities for governments and development organizations to be increasingly data-driven, collaborative, and accountable. Our goal is never simply to build a great product but to support great outcomes.
We are looking for a Finance Associate who will be responsible for preparing financial reports and maintaining records of assets, liabilities, revenue, expenditure, and payments. They will conduct regular checks of the internal controls, lead the preparation of the monthly accounts closure of the organization and ensure that disbursements are in accordance with the organizational and/or project budget(s).
This role will report to the Director of Administration and will be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Key Roles and responsibilities
- General accounting tasks, including reconciling and maintaining balance sheet accounts and general ledger operations, preparing journal entries, preparing monthly closing and financial reports, preparing account/bank reconciliations.
- Preparing tax returns i.e VAT and PAYE and uploading them to Itax.
- Petty cash management.
- Payment processing this includes, preparing expense vouchers, checking travel expense reports for accuracy and ensuring reimbursements are done.
- Ensure all expenses are within the assigned project budget and verify the completeness of all required supporting documentation for all payment vouchers.
- Initiate bank transfers and following up to make sure that approval of the wires are done;
- Prepare financial reports for clients (when need arises).
- Ensure timely and accurate monthly and year end closure of accounts, including bank reconciliation, and submit reports to the Operations Manager as per prescribed deadlines.
- Ensure account receivables and payables activities are performed accurately and timely.
- Settle amounts due, or recover outstanding receivables.
- When called upon, assist in designing, implementing, and maintaining audit-compliant internal financial controls.
- Prepare and coordinate financial audit and ensure timely and effective follow up of the audit observations and recommendations.
- Prepare staff payroll administrations, including fringe benefit computations.
- Ensure that the cashflow system is up to date and liaise with the Operations Manager incase of any discrepancies.
Business Development & Project Support
- From time to time, assist with Business Development which includes client budget preparation.
- Working closely with the Project managers monitor and manage Avaza (timesheet tracking tool).
- Orientate all new staff and offer refresher training to existing staff, on all financial policies and processes.
- Liaising with the Project Managers, ensure timely submission of timesheets by Ona staff on a weekly basis.
- Ensure timely and accurate invoicing of clients.
- Client correspondence and communications pertaining to their accounts, invoices and amounts payable.
- Follow up on account receivables and ensuring that payment is received as per the invoice due date.
- If called upon assisting in the preparation of quotations for the Ona products;
Procurement and Inventory
- Carry out benchmarking exercises and supplier reviews to obtain value for money on its purchases;
- Manage the procurement process in compliance with Ona policies and requirements; maintain updated vendor lists and vendor performance files.
- Ensure adherence to all internal controls/compliance within the different procurement processes – bid solicitation/review/approval, purchase orders, documentation of goods/services received.
- Ensure the consistency of procurement records management; create and comply with standard records file list for all procurement activities/
- Liaising with the Operations Specialist to ensure that inventory is recorded and assigned inventory label number.
- Ensure proper and complete documentation and filing for easy retrieval of all accounting related documents;
- Identify and provide feedback and suggestions to management related to improvements to Ona policies, procedures, processes and accounting systems and related programs;
- Implement Ona’s procurement of goods and services in accordance with the prevailing policies and procedures, obtain written requests for quotations, tracking items ordered, and maintain inventory control and contract tracking system; and
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Ona Management and the Direct Supervisor;
Team Player/Company Ambassador
- Represent the company and Spread the word about our products and services
- Bachelor Degree in Accounting or Finance.
- Minimum 5 years’ relevant work experience.
- CPA-K or ACCA.
- Knowledge and hands on experience with Xero (accounting software).
- Experience in budget monitoring.
- Excellent computer literacy in Excel and Word.
- Work experience from software engineering companies or an international organization.
- Post graduate Degree in the field of Finance and accounting with 4 years working experience.
- Good interpersonal skills, within a multicultural setting.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Proactive approach to work and able to work with limited supervision.
Method of Application
- Company: Ona
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Closing Date : 31 October. 2022