University of Pretoria (UP) invites South African unemployed graduates to apply for Graduate / Internship Programme 2022 / 2023.
This will include psychotherapeutic services and the development and identification of preventative and self-help programmes for the purposes of the promotion of well-being, and enhancing the academic success of students/young adults. The incumbent will have to comply with the requirements of the HPCSA in the above regards.
The successful candidate will actively participate in the following areas:
- Psychotherapeutic counselling services to students/young adults, to promote academic success and emotional wellness:
- Rendering counselling services (individually and group work), and present programmes to enhance student emotional wellness;
- Providing therapeutic services to children, adolescents and other client profiles at other campuses and sites, as part of training requirements;
- Consultation with Head: Student Counselling and colleagues;
- Development of preventative and self-help, academic and therapeutic programmes in view of the identified needs of students:
- Developing new programmes according to the identified needs;
- Co-operating and receiving feedback from internal role players by ways of applicable data and research;
- Career testing and academic support services and programmes:
- Developing and delivering academic support services and programmes;
- Providing feedback to students and parents after testing/counselling;
- Consulting with academic personnel, relevant internal and external role players, and students, to determine needs, problems and possibilities for programmes and other relevant interventions;
- Contributing to research to support the department in developing tailor-made programmes in line with the academic and emotional needs of the student population at the University of Pretoria;
- Professional development;
- Enhancing personal level of knowledge by way of studying applicable literature and research to ensure continuous learning and training;
- Participating in case presentation for the purpose of evaluation by supervisors and/or other professionals;
- Undergoing mandatory weekly supervision;
- Participation in institutional activities:
- Participating as a team member within the Student Counselling Unit in all its activities and its networks within the University.
- Proven registration as a MA student in Counselling Psychology at an accredited university/college;
- Registration as student/intern with HPCSA;
- Compliance in the above with the HPCSA regulations;
- Completed course work as part of first year MA/MSc Counselling Psychology training;
- Successful practical work as part of first year MA/MSc Counselling Psychology training.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Knowledge of the following:
- Psychological interventions at a professional level;
- Short term and brief therapy techniques;
- A range of psychometric assessments;
- The Code of Ethics and Conduct for Psychologists (HPCSA);
- Ability to diagnose psychological problems and psychopathology within the Scope of Practice for Counselling psychologists;
- Flexibility as the service demands require;
- Good interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team;
- Efficient planning, organising and prioritising skills;
- Ability to work under pressure and manage crisis interventions;
- Professionalism, confidentiality and sensitivity towards the diversity of students;
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal);
- Computer skills in MS Word, PowerPoint and e-mail;
- Ethical insight and reliability.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Practical experience within a clinic environment;
- Experience with psychological assessments and psychometric tests;
- Experience with report writing;
- Registration with the Professional Board for Psychology of the HPCSA as an intern Psychologist, prior to or simultaneous to, taking up the position.
The total remuneration package for this position is R96, 000 per annum as determined by UP policy guidelines.
How to apply
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za, and follow the link: Careers@UP.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of registration as a current MA or MSc Counselling Psychology student;
- Certified copy of registration as a current Student Psychologist with the HPCSA;
- Certified copies of undergraduate qualifications;
- Certified copies of academic results;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;
- A short, narrative self-evaluation.
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
Internship Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Internship Closing Date: 07 July 2022